Sunday 25 August 2013

A stranger I'm glad to meet....

It was just another normal morning with me going to the park for a run in hope to remain fit in today's highly competitive world. As I started warming up before running, I looked at this old man - around 68, silently observing me. At first, I didn't bother and continued with my morning exercises but later it started to bother me and I looked at him, he smiled, I smiled too.

I completed my warming up and was just about to go for a run, before that, I looked at the old man again and this time saw his shivering hand opening a bottle of "cough syrup" and trying to drink it via a spoon he was holding in his right hand, which was shivering. I sensed that he was not well.. I didn't know him even though I go to the park daily but solely as a human, I wanted to help him. I went to him and asked "main koi madat kar sakta hun"? He replied "Nahin beta, I'm fine". His voice had great depth, I could sense the kindness in his voice itself.

I felt that he was now fine and so I connected my "earphones" to my ipod and went for a run. After about 35 minutes I returned and saw the old man still sitting on the bench, this time a little tensed. I went to him again as I couldn't resist but know what was bothering him. I asked him "kya hua, aap paresaan lag rahein hain" - he replied, "beta, kuch nehin, aap chinta mat karo".. I insisted, "please tell me"... He replied - I was about to drink my cough syrup but a kid came running and crashed into me and started laughing, he perhaps played a "prank". I by mistake dropped my cough syrup and now am worried to go back home, I was told by my daughter in law to not carry the cough syrup to the park but I insisted..

I for a minute didn't know what to say but decided to help him. I told him "please wait for 5 min, I'll be back".. I came back home, carried some money with myself and went to him.. Asked him about the cough syrup that accidentally got broken and told him that I'd buy a new bottle for him. Understandably, he didn't want to take any help from me, he didn't knew me and above that, he didn't want me to spend my money on him but he was of my grandfather's age and I just had to help him, I told him the same thing. He "smiled" and believe me his smile made me smile... :)

I went to a medical shop nearby and bought the syrup for him, gave it to him and this time ensured that he takes the syrup in front of me, to insure that no kid plays a "prank" with him this time. I sat with him for a few minutes and then said "okay, I have to go, take care Dadu".. I've no idea why I said Dadu but it just felt right. He replied "sukriya for the syrup beta, god bless you" - I clearly remember these words...

I never met him again but this incident is very close to my heart.. I don't know who he was, where he lives but I'm just glad that I met him.. :)

This post is a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda

0 comments:

Post a Comment